May 26, 2008

Day #1 at OCBC

Uggh.

My first, and final word on the first day. After waiting for the guys to arrive, we reached there promptly and went up to the HR Division on the 40th floor after exchanging our ICs for temp passes. Me, Faizah, Dao Li and Liang An were posted to CSC on the 12th floor. Shu Min and Saihah went over to the East Block while Huiqi went to the 13th floor on her own; Si Hui went to 7th floor.

My department is .. mostly female, with about 3/4 guys around. After being shown a cubicle for us to stew in, so to speak, I waited for a bit before Chao Yoon, my Team Manager for the Admin Team showed me around the office; introducing me to some of the staff, showing me where the pantry and ladies was.

After that, I was promptly "dumped" at the counter to assist the 2 staff there, Phoebe and Edweena with their work. Basically I'll be stuck doing sai kang but its better than nothing. For the rest of the afternoon, I was taught the basic day-to-day operations of CSC. Had to learn what turnover time was .. was reminded to have completeness (follow-thru), punctuality, blah blah. Also made friends with the people who delivered letters and packages to us .. one thing I haven't got the hang of is knowing who sits where. Its not so much a problem about identity since the staff have name tags at their cubicle but .. it is a bit hard to remember the seating arrangement on the first day.

Kena arrow by one of them when I couldn't remember my 3rd person to bring a file to sat. The word "corporate" itself stresses me, uggh. Went for lunch at BK today, have made up my mind to go and explore more places for lunch .. BK's prices is daylight robbery.

Tired, but at least I know I have something to do everyday. 3 months .. I wonder how long I can take it. Oh, and I have NO internet access AT ALL. The intranet is only available after I sign forms requesting for access. Pfft. OMG no laptop .. I'm dying, I tell ya.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your first step into the workforce. :)

I know how you feel, I was very awkward myself when I started training at the Post Office and later at the Gift Shop.

Not much to say, but don't let your mind walk around, keep focus. It is difficult, but try to.

Secondly, keep in mind what you are there for.

And third. Never miss the chance to learn about the inner workings of the organisation. It may be security protocols, how much they spend on tea/coffee or snacks every month or where the paperwork goes to.

Find out about it. The more you know, the more instinctive you work, the better your evaluation will be.

And Keep learning!

B.E.