December 09, 2007

Articles for thought

2 articles today in Lifestyle, Sunday Times caught my eye. One was this article from the New York Times which was featured

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/06/fashion/06push.html

and the other is 'Hanging on for dear life' by Margo McCutcheon, a Canadian writer and teacher based in Kuala Lumpur. Which I'm going to type in its entirety coz I can't find it online. I don't own the copyrights, so don't sue me!!

Read them first, elsewise you won't know I'm talking about.

For the first article - do women really need shiny baubles, bling and acessories as such as their reward for carrying the baby, then delivering? I can't speak for the majority, but surely most of us women would consider the baby sufficient reward. What's more wonderful than bringing a new life into the world, knowing you were a part of it? Maybe for some, they think that "Since I've endured 9 months of *insert whatever woeful word you want*, I should at least get some reward as recognition and gratitude.

For me, since I'm not the materialistic type, I wouldn't be asking or even hinting my hubby to get something nice for me - I don't need it. As long as the baby is healthy, I couldn't be bothered if i don't get diamond earrings/rings etc .. emotional support is good enough. More importantly, he shows he cares by being there, waiting outside the delivery room. Imagine this scenario:

Doctor, nurses: Push!!
Woman: *screams in pain, baby comes wailing out*
Doctor: Grats, you've got a healthy boy/girl!
Husband: *rushes in and thrusts a pair of diamond earrings at his wife* Honey, look what I got for you - isn't it lovely?
Wife: *disheveled, tired and clearly in no state to respond* *bish*

As for the second - the article speaks for itself. I certainly don't care if I don't live in a condo, don't own the latest car, don't have the cushiest job possible just for the sake of being "in" with the rich/trendy snobs around. Who cares? I'd rather be off somewhere in rural areas doing volunteering work than being stuck in an office, meeting deadlines and answering to my boss, earning a high salary and living the high life.

There's something rewarding about volunteer work - despite the fact that yes, you're working with handicapped children and yes, you're not paid for it. But that warm fuzzy feeling you get when that child you're assigned to smiles at having done something correctly, like brushing his teeth in the right direction after several failed tries overrides all else.

So even if I can't get into a university, have a degree and a high-paying job, I know I'll be happy doing what I love most.

No comments: